Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Season Overview: Blue Wave Cheer

By Jenn O’Neill
                One sport that typically goes unnoticed throughout the fall season is the Darien High School cheer squad. Recently however the squad has not only gained more girls but more experience. The 26 girls are led by captains Hannah Carmondy, Jordan Irizzary, Claire Linegar and Cameron Luttrell. When asked about how the season has gone overall, this is what they had to say.
                Blue Wave Sports Blog: How do you think the season has gone this year?
Cameron Luttrell: I think this season has gone really well so far! We have a lot of new girls, but they've all put in so much time and effort and it's paid off.
Jordan Irizzary: I've had a lot of fun and I feel like a lot of new friendships have been made throughout the team between the girls along with old friendships that have grown even stronger.
                BWSB: Will everything you’ve worked on for the fall season cross over to the winter season?
Irizzary: The girls are working really hard with their stunt groups and also at the gym, and if they keep up the hard work we will definitely have an amazing routine for competition season.
                BWSB: What has been the best part of the season?
Luttrell: I think the best part of the season has been bonding with the team. I think our squad this year is a lot closer than in the years past and we do things outside of practice together, like cheering at the soccer game, going to sleep away camp, and doing the walk for breast cancer. It’s been fun getting to know everyone better and I feel like there isn't a divide between the grades
Claire Linegar: We became much closer as a team. Also in practice and football games, and pasta dinners, I think our team has the greatest connection that I’ve ever seen.
                BWSB: Is there anything that could be improved?
Linegar: I think we can improve our goals as a team. Each girl has so must potential has a cheerleader, and everyone is pushing themselves to become a better athlete.
Irizzary: What could use improvement is the pace at which we learn things. I feel like stunting wise we all could do a lot better. We are still on basics and it’s almost the end of the football season. I don’t think it’s a bad thing that were still on the basics, but I feel like if we all just pushed a little harder (including myself) we could be into more intense and harder stunts.
                BWSB: Any final thoughts?
Irizzary: I feel like we get a lot more credit this year than we have in the past. Fans are getting more involved with our cheers along with the generous gifts we received from the football captains. It shows that they do appreciate the time and effort that we have been putting in throughout the past four years and that it really pays off.
Luttrell: I’m really happy to be a captain this year, I love my fellow captains, and I feel really lucky to have such great coaches!
Linegar: I feel so lucky to have a team that I can consider a second family. I love everyone so much and I love our coaches! We are so lucky to have such wonderful girls who dedicate themselves every day. I know the season will only get better!

No comments: