Thursday, November 14, 2019

Diving into Open: The Darien High School Varsity Dive Team Score Big at FCIAC’s

Brianna Lyons

The Darien High School Swim and Dive team competed Thursday at 6:30 at Middletown High School for the FCIAC’s. Four girls competed in the competition last night. Seniors Lana Schmidt, Emma Hunter, Kerry McDermott and freshmen Lily Wurm.

The Darien Varsity Swim and Dive team scored high during their competition ranking in the top 20. Schmidt got 8th place and qualified for the state opens. Hunter scored 11th, McDermott scored 14th and Wurm scored 10th. Overall, a stellar performance by each of the competitors.

Diving is a difficult sport. It requires competitors to combine gymnastics, swimming as well as flexibility if they want to score high in any diving competition. Diving is one of the most viewed sports in Olympic History. Spectators enjoy watching people do insane tricks in the air and still hit the water with perfect form. Darien Scoring so high in the FCIAC is a feat that is incredibly impressive due to the talent of the competitors.

“I always look forward to diving in the larger meets with my teammates and this one was even more special because it was the last time I would be competing with them. I wanted to do well and hopefully place in the top 16 again not only for myself but for my team. I was able to achieve this goal which I consider a great end to my season. I cannot wait to continue diving on the collegiate level.” Senior Emma Hunter said. The next competition for the Dive team is Saturday November 16, at the Cornerstone Aquatics Center at 3:15. This will be a state qualifying meet and whoever qualifies will move on to the next round of states on Wednesday November 20 at Wesleyan University.

Breathing for Victory (Courtesy of DAF Media)

No comments: