Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Interview with Sophomore Track Star Nick Lombardo



by Reed Barthold
            As the Outdoor Spring Track season starts to come underway, more and more talents are rising from the shadows and are starting to exhibit their skill. However, there is one familiar talent that is returning for another spring track season. Nick Lombardo is a sophomore at DHS and is about to begin his second spring track season. Lombardo competes in the track portion of “Track and Field” and runs/jumps for the Darien team. He is one of the best sophomore sprinters and jumpers in the state and has continually impressed not only his coaches, but all of DHS.
            Lombardo participates in multiple events like the 100 and 200 meter sprint as well as jumping events like the long and high jump. No particular event is his favorite, although he admits, “…everyone on the team including the coaches will tell you that I would prefer a race shorter than 400m”. Lombardo is known for his speed and agility on the football field and that skill led him to track and field. Lombardo states, “I've always been a runner. I thought I would have some sort enjoyment in track so I thought I would give it a shot. I really like the decision I made to try track”.
            When asked about any records he’s reached or broken, he replied with a modest “I try not to think about that”. Lombardo participates in winter and spring track and reserves the fall season for football. Lombardo says it is hard to decide which sport he likes better but admits that it is just the competition he is attracted to rather than the sport itself.

No comments: