Thursday, April 3, 2014

Spencer Nichols Athlete Profile

by Tristan Ersek

Every year, Darien High School consistently produces talented athletes. There is also always someone who flies under the radar and pops up into our attention for an incredible athletic performance. This past year, the track team added Spencer Nichols to their team. What they didn’t know, however, was how far he was going to take his athletic drive for the team. For his grade, he is number one in the state and is in the top 20 overall for high school high jumpers. He quickly gained attention after jumping 5’8” with only 1 year of experience.  Luckily, Neirad was able to sit down and talk to him about his track career.

What made you decide that you wanted to join the track team?

“I knew I had always been fast and agile, so I figured track would be a great option for me, since I love to run.”

When did you discover your skills at high jumping?

“It was during a Babe Ruth league baseball game where I had found out I could jump really high. I was sprinting to home plate mid-game last summer, but the catcher was blocking my path. To avoid getting out, I quickly hurdled over him and landed it cleanly to score a run.”

What goals have you set for yourself?

“I plan to make states again and become one of the best high jumpers not only in our town, but in the entire state.”

What does this sport mean to you personally?

“I love track; there’s something about it that I just can’t describe. Combine the adrenaline rush right before a big jump and the sense of unity that is glued to our team… I couldn’t ask for anything more. We all strive to win and be the best and that is a great feeling.”

Do you see yourself doing track in college?

“Although I would love to participate, I don’t personally see myself joining the team. College is a big deal and I am going to put all my focus into my academics.”

What is your support foundation?

“Friends and family are always cheering me on and being super supportive. On top of that, my coaches provide that feeling of security, which helps me take off some of the pressure when it’s time to do my job. But overall, everyone just wants to see me succeed which I am very grateful for.”

Spencer will also be taking part in the spring track Pole Vaulting team so anyone who is interested, go check him out soon!

Nichols with his awards from the Boys Indoor Track banquet.

No comments: