Friday, February 27, 2009

On the Ice With Gorski, Hockey Captain

-By: Clemmy Little-

Winter sports are slowly winding down and before spring sports come into play I thought I would sit down with senior, Matthew Gorski, captain of the Boys Varsity Blue Wave Hockey team. They have had quite a solid season with a record of 11-6-3 and are hoping to win on Saturday against Staples in the FCIAC Quarterfinals.
I sat down with Matt and got the insight on the team this year as well some history on where it all started for him. "Well I started skating when I was 5 with Mini Mites DYH and ever since then I have had such a passion for hockey. I’ve played center the majority of my career but once I got to high school I started to play defense, which I’ve loved. Well, all around a lot has changed from last year to this year, we don’t have a go to scorer, which means we haven’t really blown many teams out but I don’t think that is necessarily a bad thing. We have a very young team this year, not as much depth as last year. Case Matheis, Nick Bruno, Cam Murry, Doug Miller, and John Baker are all freshman that play a lot. As far as the post season is looking..it will be tough to win FCIAC’s or States but if we play our game for the next few weeks we will be a very hard team to beat and I think we can do it. So far this year has been awesome; our senior group I think has really brought the team together and it’s been a lot of fun for everyone. We’ve put in a lot of work and really deserve to do well. Oh, and I can’t forget our managers, they are the best things that’s ever happen to the 2008-09 Hockey team, it wouldn’t be the same without them!"
Matt will continue on next year to Ohio State and join the Division 1 Lacrosse team and be a great contribution there and would love to try and join their club hockey team!

No comments: