Monday, April 29, 2013

Athlete Profile: Lexie Perticone


By Cammie Lattimer



The Darien High School Girls Lacrosse Team is currently 8-1. Senior player Lexie Perticone has been on Varsity since post season her freshman year. She plays high attack and is a force to be reckoned with when she races towards goal. Lexie is attending Colby College in the fall where she will be playing lacrosse and field hockey. The BWSB took a closer look into the laxer lifestyle of Lexie Perticone.

BWSB: When did you first start playing lacrosse?
Lexie: I started playing lacrosse in elementary school, I think in 5th grade.

BWSB: What is your favorite part about being on the Darien Girls Lax Team?
Lexie: I love having the opportunity to become friends with people in all different grades that I may not have met without lacrosse.

BWSB: What does a typical practice at DHS consist of?
Lexie: We start off practice by running a warm up lap and stretching. Then we usually move in to line drills (shuttles). After this we will do some field drills. Typically double teams, crease rolls, 3 v 2's, and clears from the goalie. After these drills we do set up offense and defense. And to end practice we will do free position shots and draw controls if it is the day before a game, and if not we will do some sort of conditioning.

BWSB: What made you decide you wanted to continue playing lacrosse at Colby?
Lexie: Well I always knew that I wanted to play lacrosse in college, and that I wanted to pick a school because of the school itself and not just the lacrosse team, and Colby was a perfect fit in all aspects. I love that it is a small liberal arts school in a competitive athletic conference. To top it off it is all the better that I have the opportunity to play the two sports that I love; field hockey and lacrosse, and I will not be forced to pick just one.

BWSB: What did you like about Colby’s lacrosse program?
Lexie: When I first went to visit Colby and I met with the lacrosse coach I left the meeting thinking to myself that this is the kind of coach that I would love to play for and this is the kind of team that I aspired to be on. Not only are the girls on the team people that I would love to be friends with, but they share the same love for the sport and desire to win as I do. Colby has yet to win a Division III national Championship, but every year they have been getting closer and closer, and I would love to be a part of the first Colby Women's Lacrosse team that wins a national title.

BWSB: What are your hopes for your last season at DHS?
Lexie: I hope that we win FCIACS and States!!!

The next DHS Girls Lacrosse game will be home on Tuesday April 30th vs. Trumbull at 4pm.

Photo Caption: Lexie is decked out in blue wave lax attire as she warms up before a game.
Photo Credit: Darien Times/ Steven Buono photo

No comments: