Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Ostberg Shatters FCIAC Course Record

By Amanda Percarpio
This past Monday, the Blue Wave Boys Cross Country team competed in their FCIAC meet at Waveny Park in New Canaan. The team came in 4th, with an outstanding performance led by senior Alex Ostberg.

Ostberg finished first with a time of 14:47 (4:46 mile pace), breaking the course record by 28 seconds and becoming the only FCIAC runner to ever run sub-15 minutes. He won the race by a wide margin of 47 seconds, and currently holds the third fastest 3.1 mile time run in the nation this season.
"Since it was my last FCIAC championship, I went out with something to prove," Ostberg said. "My goal was to set a course record that would be virtually unbreakable. I run at Waveny all the time so competing there one last time was a special experience for me, and I'm thrilled that I was able to run a 14:47 which was a new PR for me."

Junior Armstrong Noonan also had a stellar race, placing third all-FCIAC with a time of 15:35. Other strong performances were led by senior Arthur Cassidy (26) and junior Jack Murray (39).
The Boy's next meet is their state meet which will be held this Saturday, October 25th, in Wickham Park in Manchester.

Senior Alex Ostberg (left) and junior Armstrong Noonan (right) after their unforgettable race.


No comments: