Thursday, March 15, 2012

Loh Breaks DHS record at New Englands and is faster than a speeding van


On March 2nd, the girls New England Indoor Track Championship was held at the Reggie Lewis Center in Boston. To qualify, athletes must rank within the top six at State Opens.  However, if one who qualifies does not wish to attend the New England meet, then the one in 7th place gets the spot. DHS junior Grace Loh, who was sick at the time of State Opens, got 7th place but earned a spot for New Englands when another girl decided against attending the meet. Loh, who was voted captain for next year’s girls team at DHS, proceeded to break a school record in the 1000 m event. She took 6th place with a time of 2:59:08. When asked how she felt before the race, she said: “I wasn't really that nervous because after New England there isn't anything to qualify for, and I wasn't really expecting a good race after having to train on my own for two weeks.” However, she ran much faster than she expected. "I was really surprised with my place and time, but the girl who won was actually in my heat, so she picked up the pace and made getting a faster time easier,” Loh said. One of the many reasons Loh enjoys running is because the speed is beneficial on and off the track. "A few nights ago my friends and I saw the band One Direction perform at Radio City. After the concert, I was able to successfully run after their van and climb on the back of it while they were stopped at a red light. It was kind of a big deal." Loh said. Congrats to Loh for her fantastic race and concert adventure!

No comments: