Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Horseback Riding Profile: Lilly Walker

By Kyra Hammer

Field sports, track, and games that involve a ball are not all that students play at Darien High School. Lilly Walker’s love for animals steered her away from the norm and she started horseback riding.

Blue Wave Sports Blog: When did you start horseback riding?         
Lilly Walker: I started horseback riding when I was about six years old, but I became more serious about the sport when I was 12.

BWSB: Why do you like it?
LW: I like it because it’s a very unique sport. I don’t necessarily pass or kick a ball, but I work with an animal and that’s what makes it really fun.


BWSB: How long do you train?
LW: I train seven days a week for about an hour or two.

BWSB: What is your schedule like?
LW: My schedule usually entails seven days a week of riding. Depending on the week, I usually ride on the weekdays and show on the weekends. It also depends on the “season”, where the spring/summer is more filled with showing than the fall/winter.

BWSB: Traveling?
LW: I travel wherever the show brings me! I’ve been to Florida, New York, New Jersey, New Hampshire, Vermont, Kentucky and more.

BWSB: What are shows like?
LW: Shows usually take up the whole day. Show days are from very early in the morning to late evening/night. I’ve been up at 4:30 am to start my day and leave the horseshow at around 5:30 pm depending on where I am. Horse shows are very tiring and stressful, yet a lot of fun.

BWSB: Can you talk about owning a horse or pony and what it takes to care for them?
LW: Owning a horse/pony comes with a lot of responsibility. It isn’t easy taking care of a 1,000 pound animal. Even though they are big, they are fragile. Taking care of them is really important. For example, making sure they are eating and drinking regularly, to making sure they are “sound”(moving the right way and do not look injured).

Photo Caption: Lilly riding her horse, Commander, in a show in Florida.



No comments: