Sunday, May 12, 2013

Showdown in Darien: Baseball Beats Fairfield, Makes FCIAC Run Closer


By Ahmed Mustafa

After a disappointing and crushing loss against Norwalk on Thursday, Darien High School had to start winning games in order to make a run at FCIAC’s. On Friday, Fairfield Warde came to Darien, looking to make a run at FCIACs as well. On the mound was junior Ames Murray. Murray has been starting and relieving all season. 
                 
Murray struggled early in the game, giving up 2 runs, but settled down. DHS’s offense was quiet until RF Senior Carl Stowell came through with a RBI Double, cutting Fairfield’s lead 2-1. Stowell was in the spotlight again, hitting a 2 run double, giving Darien a 3-2 lead in the bottom of the 5th. Fairfield wasn’t going to back down, though, and tied the game in the top of the 6th. Senior Liam Naughton came in, and prevented Fairfield from scoring more. In the bottom of the 6th, sophomore Connor Davey came through with a RBI Double, giving DHS a 4-3 lead. Now, DHS was only 3 outs away from winning this ballgame. However, Naughton couldn’t hold the lead, allowing a run to tie the game. In the bottom of the 7, DHS had runners on 1st and 2nd, with 1 out. The potential winning run was at 2nd, and Captain eenior Andrew Maley came to plate, hitting an RBI single to win the game. Darien won 5-4!

Maley talked about his approach at the plate. “I had 2 strikes on me, I was down pretty early on the count, and I was looking for a fastball I kept my hands inside, went  quick to the ball and got what I could drive," Maley said. 

RF Carl Stowell was huge in this game, having 3 RBI’s and leading Darien to the victory. “This was huge for us, with our final 4 games, we  needed at least 2 of them, and the way we came back and fought, it’s just incredible. I saw the runners on the scoring position, I was just trying to put the ball in play and hit it ay the outfield," Stowell said.

Murray went 5 1/3 innings, allowing 3 earned runs. He was not satisfied on his start, but happy that the team won. “It was a good all around win, we needed this to get into the FCIAC playoffs, and that’s our goal. I didn’t have my best stuff today, I threw all right in the bullpen, so I just went and grind," Murray said. 

Senior Liam Naughton got the win, but made the game a little interesting. In the top of the 7th, with runners on 1st and 3rd 1 out, there was a play back to the mound.  He could’ve thrown it home to prevent the run from scoring, but took the gamble and tried to make a double pay, which failed and took Darien to extra innings. “I thought the ball was a hard enough hit, I already turned to 2nd, and I heard 2, so I thought I had it and threw it to 2nd, I probably could’ve gotten out of this game 20 minutes earlier. I don’t think I deserve the win, Ames was good, but we’ll take this win as a team," Naughton said. 

After disappointed on the effort against Norwalk, Coach Scott couldn’t be prouder of his boys battling until the end. “I’m proud of the guys, the way they fought back after getting down early. Ames was great, he struggled a little early but he settled down nice and kept this game close," Coach Scott said. 

Due to the win, a chance at FCIACs is still possible for Darien. On Monday, Stamford High School will come to Darien and try to stop the team. Right now, Darien is in 10th place, and needs to be in 8th to make FCIACs. But, if DHS plays the way they played today, look for them to win their next 3 games be in the playoffs.

Photo caption:  RF Senior Carl Stowell

No comments: