Monday, October 28, 2013

Sophomore Stars Marissa Baker and Georgia Cassidy, on Field Hockey and Friendship

by Amanda Sload

Sophomores Georgia Cassidy and Marissa Baker have seen considerable playing time on the field hockey team, the only girls in their grade to do so. The duo, who have played ice hockey together for years growing up, have come out strong and helped the field hockey team reach its 1-loss record.

Cassidy is a high forward and Baker is a right wing. Baker just started playing the sport last year, while Cassidy has had a little more experience in her three years playing the sport. Neirad got to know more about the girls, their experience on the field hockey team, and their friendship.

Neirad: Why do you like field hockey?

Georgia Cassidy: I like playing field hockey because I love the sport but also because I love being a part of the team with such a fun group of girls and awesome coaches.
Marissa Baker: I like field hockey because I love the team, the whole program, and I have so much fun when I play.

Neirad: What has it been like playing so much on varsity?

GC: It has been a really good learning experience. I have learned so much from the coaches and upperclassmen.
MB: Playing on varsity has been a really crazy experience. I’ve gotten really close with my teammates, especially [Georgia] because she's the only other sophomore. As hard as it can be sometimes, your teammates are honestly always there to make you okay. During field hockey season, the sport is pretty much your life, but I wouldn't want it any other way.

Neirad: What are your goals for this year?

GC: My goals for this year are to try to take what [coach Mo Minicus] tells me I need to do to improve on our games.
MB: Last year the team did the best they could and won both titles. I want to do that again this year, and I want to make the seniors proud.

Neirad: How has this year gone for you personally so far?

GC: Personally this year is going very well and I am looking forward to FCIACS and states, where I can hopefully keep working hard and improving.
MB: This year for me personally has been a really big learning year. The level of play between JV and Varsity is really different. I also started playing last year so I'm still learning some really basic stuff that you learn in 4th grade, like how to block tackle. Every game you have to make yourself better no matter the opponent. I've been working really hard this season and I'm happy to say that I've gotten much better because of it.

Neirad: Why do you like playing together?

GC: I like playing with Marissa because I think after playing ice hockey together for so many years we connect incredibly on the ice and on the field.
MB: I love playing with my G. We connect really well together on the field and on the ice. I love playing with her because we’re such good friends off the field too, we connect really well on the field and we always push each other to do better.


Catch the field hockey team, along with Baker and Cassidy, in action as it competes to advance to the FCIAC finals on October 29th at Brien McMahon.

Baker and Cassidy together before one of their games.

No comments: